Open Educational Resources Grant Program
2020 Grant Cycle
An Open Educational Resource (OER) is a teaching, learning, or research resource that is in the public domain or has been released under an intellectual property license that permits the free use, adaptation, and redistribution of the resource by any person.
The OER Grant Program is a competitive program that provides grants to selected individual or teams of faculty at Texas public institutions of higher education to adopt, modify, redesign, or develop courses using only OER. The statutory authority for the OER Grant Program is in Texas Education Code (TEC), Section 61.0668. and the rules that govern the program are in Texas Administrative Code (TAC) Rules 4.230-4.238.
The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) encourages applications from all eligible faculty members. The THECB expects to award two categories of grant awards under this RFA:
- A maximum of $25,000 to faculty or teams of faculty to develop new or substantially improve existing OER for one or more high-enrollment Texas Core Curriculum (TCC) courses, focused on TCC courses that account for the majority of credits transferred among institutions. These grants should be matched with contributions from the institution or institutions (contributions can be in-kind).
- A maximum of $5,000 to faculty or teams of faculty to support the substantial redesign of one or more TCC courses to incorporate OER.
Contingent upon the amount of appropriation available, the THECB expects to award approximately five to six Development Grants and 20 to 25 Implementation Grants for the biennium ending August 31, 2021.
Dates to Remember:
- Inquiry Deadline: June 1, 2020 at 11:59pm C.D.T.
- Application Deadline: June 15, 2020 at 11:59pm C.D.T.
- THECB Announces Awards: On or around September 1, 2020