Private Postsecondary Institutions
The Coordinating Board authorizes accredited degree-granting private postsecondary institutions under a Certificate of Authorization and provides oversight of degree-granting private postsecondary institutions under a Certificate of Authority while they seek recognized accreditation. While operating in Texas, out-of-state public institutions are also required to seek authorization. Administrative rules governing degree-granting colleges and universities other than Texas public institutions can be found here: Chapter 7.
The Coordinating Board's oversight also includes the following regulatory and coordinating roles:
- Monitoring the accrediting agencies that are recognized by the Board to accredit degree-granting institutions in Texas.
- Approving use of "protected terms" as determined by the Texas Legislature.
- Registering institutional agents.
- Providing letters of religious exemption.
- Publishing information on institutions not authorized in Texas, including those institutions which have been found to be fraudulent or are deemed substandard based on the Coordinating Board’s standards.
- Maintaining and preserving essential academic records.
Additional information regarding the Coordinating Board’s oversight: