New Baccalaureate Degree Program Requests

30 Day Notification Requirement for New Degree and Certificate Requests

Texas public institutions of higher education that want to propose a new degree or certificate program must first notify other public institutions of higher education within a 50 mile radius of the proposed location of the new program. The proposing institution may notify area institutions through a letter or email to the chief academic officers of the area institutions. The proposing institution must notify area institutions at least 30 days prior to submitting the proposal to the Coordinating Board.

If the proposing institution receives any objections, the institution must resolve those objections prior to submitting a proposal to the Coordinating Board. If the institution cannot resolve the objections, then it may ask the Assistant Commissioner of the Academic Quality and Workforce Division to mediate the dispute. Once all objections have been resolved, the institution may submit the proposal to the Board, along with documentation showing that notification was given to nearby public institutions and that the objections, if any, were resolved. These provisions are found here in the Texas Administrative Code.

New Bachelor's Degree Programs at Public Junior Colleges

Senate Bill 2118, passed by the 85th Texas Legislature, Regular Session, and signed into law by the Governor, authorizes public junior colleges that meet specific requirements to offer baccalaureate degree programs. A new baccalaureate degree program cannot be implemented until the community college receives approval from the Coordinating Board to offer the program, and also receives approval from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award baccalaureate degrees.

Community colleges that propose to offer the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree programs are also required to submit additional information, per SB 2118. Requests for BSN programs may also require additional approvals.

Community colleges proposing a new bachelor's degree program should submit the Request Form.

Inquiries regarding New Program Requests should be directed to Donna Carlin at