Closure of Virginia College, Brightwood College, and Golf Academy of America
(Updated December 20, 2018)
Expected closure dates:
- Brightwood College-Arlington: December 7, 2018
- Brightwood College-Beaumont: December 7, 2018
- Brightwood College-Brownsville: December 7, 2018
- Brightwood College-Corpus Christi: December 7, 2018
- Brightwood College-Dallas: December 7, 2018
- Brightwood College-El Paso: December 7, 2018
- Brightwood College-Ft. Worth: December 7, 2018
- Brightwood College-Friendswood: December 7, 2018
- Brightwood College-Houston North: December 21, 2018
- Brightwood College-Laredo: December 7, 2018
- Brightwood College-McAllen: December 7, 2018
- Brightwood College-San Antonio Ingram: December 19, 2018
- Brightwood College-San Antonio San Pedro: December 7, 2018
- Golf Academy of America-Dallas: December 14, 2018
- Virginia College-Austin: December 18, 2018
- Virginia College-Lubbock: December 7, 2018
To keep up-to-date on information as it is made available, please check this webpage from time-to-time to see updates.
The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) has received copies of transcripts from Texas locations and is processing the documents. At this time, we estimate we will be able to fulfill transcripts in early 2019– current estimated date is end of January 2019. For those students currently enrolled, the transcripts might not have the most current information. We expect the institution to provide updated transcripts once the December term has ended and the transcripts are updated.
When transcripts are available, a student can request a copy of his/her transcript on file with THECB by completing a transcript request form at the Student Academic Record or Transcript Requests web page.
END OF THE YEAR TAX DOCUMENTS:
ECA expects to mail Form 1098-T to students by January 31, 2019. The form is a tuition statement. Per the IRS, the statement is required to support any claim for an education credit. THECB does not have copies of this form and can’t issue a copy to a student.
THECB is working with other public and private institutions in Texas to determine the availability of comparable programs for transfer. As information is received, a list of programs and possible transfer institutions will be available at: Comparable Programs List.
Students may also directly search THECB’s Program Inventory if they wish to research possible transfer options. Please note: Students should never assume that credits will transfer to or from any educational institution. The determination as to whether to accept credits is at the discretion of the receiving institution.
If students want to transfer quickly, please direct inquiries to the following email in order to request that ECA escalate the federal financial aid processing through the US Department of Education’s COD system: email@example.com.
Please visit https://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/FGIB/Restoration.asp to learn more about your options. Some benefit eligibility may be restored depending on the details of the closing and your particular circumstances. In addition, you may contact the Texas Veterans Commission. The Texas Veterans Commission will update their website as information is confirmed.
FEDERAL STUDENT LOANS AND PELL GRANTS:
NEW INFO: The US Department of Education has posted information to its website regarding the closure of the schools under Education Corporation of America (ECA). The ECA fact sheet and spreadsheet have been posted to the closed school communications web portal at: StudentAid.gov/closures. The portal includes references to the Virginia, Brightwood, and Golf Academy brands. All students should review these resources for questions regarding federal financial aid.
The US Department of Education has posted its ECA webinar schedule on its website at https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/sites/default/files/education-corporation-america-webinars.pdf. These interactive webinars are for all Brightwood Career Institute, Brightwood College, Ecotech Institute, Golf Academy of America, and Virginia College students to share information and address students’ questions and concerns.
Please contact THECB staff if you have additional questions.
- For transcripts only: Channel Wesson (512-427-6289)
- For other questions, including information on comparable programs: Cathie Maeyaert (512-427-6527)
Source: External Relations