CATEGORIES FOR THE 2017 STAR AWARD
For 2017, Star Award nominees and applicants will be considered in the following three categories:
1. Programs, projects, and activities at Texas institutions of higher education that demonstrate successful outcomes in areas of overarching educational attainment, completion, marketable skills, or student debt that are attributable to the program, project, or activity. Self-nominations welcome.
2. Groups and organizations in Texas (such as those that help promote student completion of a certificate or degree, or help reduce student loan debt). Self-nominations welcome.
3. Partnerships (among higher education institutions, public/private schools/districts, businesses, or the community) that demonstrate successful outcomes in areas of overarching educational attainment, completion, marketable skills, or student debt that are attributable to the partnership. Self-nominations welcome.
Note: Public/private schools/districts will be considered for the 2017 Star Award if the school/district is part of a partnership.
For more detailed information regarding eligibility and criteria
for the 2017 Star Award and the review process and timeline, please click on the following link: 2017 Texas Higher
Education Star Awards Application Process and Guidelines.
2017 STAR AWARD SUBMISSION INFORMATION
Note: Submission is a two-step process.
Step 1: Submit the Nomination (self-nominations welcome)
Star Award Nomination Forms
1. Programs, projects,& activities at Texas institutions of higher education
2. Groups and organizations in Texas
Note: The completed Nomination (including Cover Sheet and Summary Description) must be received at the Coordinating Board offices no later than 5:00 p.m. on June 12, 2017.
Actions for Star Award Nominators (including Self-Nominators)
1. Complete the Nomination Cover Sheet for the appropriate category of Star
Award (i.e., Programs, Projects, and Activities; Groups and Organizations; or
Partnerships). This cover sheet is a form completed by the nominator that
includes the nominee’s contact information.
2. Complete the Nomination Summary Description. The summary description is a
brief overview of the nominated program, group, or partnership that includes
general information regarding how the nominee is making an outstanding
contribution to one or more of the goals of the higher education
a. Increasing the postsecondary educational attainment level of the state’s 25-
to 34-year-old population (i.e., contribution(s) to the Overarching
Educational Attainment Goal);
b. Increasing the number of students completing a certificate, associate,
bachelor’s, or master’s from an institution of higher education in Texas (i.e.,
contribution(s) to the Completion Goal);
c. Increasing the number of programs with identified marketable skills at
Texas public institutions of higher education (i.e., contribution(s) to the
Marketable Skills Goal); or
d. Implementing programs or cost efficiencies that help to ensure that
undergraduate student loan debt will not exceed 60 percent of first-year
wages for graduates of Texas public institutions (i.e., contribution(s) to the
Student Debt Goal).
3. Save your Nomination Cover Sheet and Nomination Summary Description as a
combined PDF file.
4. Email the PDF file to StarAward@thecb.state.tx.us. THECB staff will confirm
via email to the nominator the receipt of each nomination.
(Note: Nominations are not accepted by regular mail.)
STEP 2: SUBMIT THE APPLICATION
Star Award Application Forms
The applicable Star Award Application form, including instructions, will be sent via email by THECB staff to each nominee, after the nomination has been received.
Note: The completed Application (including Application Cover Sheet signed by the president/chancellor or CEO as applicable, Full Description, and Letter of Recommendation) must be received at the Coordinating Board offices no later than 5:00 p.m. on July 17, 2017.
Actions for Star Award Nominees:
1. Secure from your email account the applicable Star Award Application form,
including instructions, sent to your email account by THECB staff.
2. Complete the Application Cover Sheet (limited to 1 single-sided page). This is a
form completed by the nominated applicant that includes the applicant’s
contact information. Please note that the appropriate president or chancellor
for higher education institutions, or the CEO of other entities, must sign the
Application Cover Sheet giving authorization for the application to be
considered by the Coordinating Board.
3. Complete the Application Full Description (limited to 10 single-sided pages).
This is detailed information about the program, group, or partnership that
includes the following information:
a. Summary of what the program, group, or partnership is intended to
b. The date the program, group, or partnership began operations;
c. The goal(s) of 60x30TX to which the program, group, or partnership is
contributing (i.e., Overarching Educational Attainment Goal, Completion
Goal, Marketable Skills Goal, or Student Debt Goal);
d. Sufficient data to ensure that progress is clearly demonstrated and is
attributable to the program, group, or partnership; and
e. Demonstration of an efficient cost/benefit ratio per student.
4. Obtain at least one Letter of Recommendation for the nominated program
(limited to 2 single-sided pages per Letter of Recommendation). Generally, the
letters of recommendation that have been included with Star Award
applications have been from business leaders; community leaders; higher
education chancellors/presidents, provosts, and chief instructional officers;
individuals who have benefited from the program; parents whose children have
benefited from the program; etc.
(Note: The full application is limited to a total of 13 pages, including the
Application Cover Sheet (up to 1 page), Full Description (up to 10 pages), and
Letter of Recommendation (up to 2 pages per letter). If your application will
exceed 13 pages when including more than one Letter of Recommendation,
please consider simply listing on one page the additional persons and their
affiliated institutions/organizations from whom you have received additional
Letters of Recommendation.)
5. Save your Application Cover Sheet, Full Description, and Letter of
Recommendation as a combined PDF file.
6. Email the PDF file to StarAward@thecb.state.tx.us. THECB staff will confirm
via email to the applicant the receipt of each application.
(Note: Applications are not accepted by regular mail.)
If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact:
Mary E. Smith, Ph.D.
Assistant Deputy Commissioner for Academic Planning and Policy