Field of Study Curricula
A Field of Study Curriculum (FOSC) is a set of courses that fulfill lower-division (freshman and sophomore) requirements for a specific major/degree plan in addition to the core curriculum. FOSCs are guaranteed to transfer to any public college or university in Texas. Once you have successfully completed the set of courses that makes up the FOSC, those courses are also guaranteed to apply to the appropriate bachelor's-level degree plans corresponding to the field of study. Receiving colleges and universities are not allowed to require incoming transfer students to repeat courses with the same content as FOSC courses to satisfy requirements for the academic major.
Board-Approved Field of Study Curricula (FOSCs)
- Architecture (effective Fall 2018)
- Business Administration & Management
- Computer Science
- Criminal Justice
- Chemical Engineering (effective Fall 2018)
- Civil Engineering (effective Fall 2018)
- Electrical Engineering (effective Fall 2018)
- Mechanical Engineering (effective Fall 2018)
- Engineering Technology
- English Language and Literature
- Mexican American Studies
- Music (expires Summer 2018)
- Music - Fall 2018 (effective Fall 2018)
- Nursing (expires Summer 2018)
- Nursing - Fall 2018 (effective Fall 2018)
- Political Science
- Social Work
In addition to these Field of Study Curricula, the Coordinating Board recently approved the Associate of Arts in Teaching (AAT) degree. Like the FOSCs, this associate degree is fully transferable to any public university in Texas.
Inquiries regarding Field of Study should be directed to Allen Michie at Allen.Michie@thecb.state.tx.us.