Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education
The Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act of 2006 as amended by the Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act (Perkins V) was signed into law on July 31, 2018. The new Act provides an increased focus on the academic achievement of career and technical education students and emphasizes alignment with state-level and local needs. This page provides current information on the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board's efforts to implement the new Act. The text of Perkins V can be found by clicking Perkins V Act.
Request for Applications (RFA)
Perkins Grants provide federal funding to support and improve workforce education. Basic grants are awarded to eligible community and state technical colleges. There are also funds available to support efforts to strengthen CTE in Texas through the State Leadership grant program.
- Basic Request for Applications 2019-2020
- Perkins Basic Orientation Presentation 2019
- Perkins State Leadership Request for Applications 2019-2020
- Basic Request for Applications 2018-2019
- Perkins State Leadership Request for Applications 2018-2019
Current Leadership Projects
- A list of current 2018-2019 Leadership Projects can be found here Perkins-Funded Leadership Projects for 2018-2019.
- A list of 2017-2018 Leadership Projects can be found here Perkins-Funded Leadership Projects for 2017-2018.
Tools and Data Resources
- Perkins Grants Portal– Web location for Basic and State Leadership applications, amendments, expenditure reports and quarterly reports.
- Uniform Grants Guidance – Manual of uniform administrative requirements, cost principles and audit requirements for Federal awards.
- Perkins Data Resources– Searchable district and program-level data on Perkins core indicators.
- Perkins Indirect Cost Estimator – Tool for calculating or verifying indirect costs.
- Inventory Disposition Request for the Carl D. Perkins Grant – Form to request permission for the transfer or sale of capital equipment or a cumulative supplies inventory exceeding $5,000 in value and purchased with Perkins funds.
Each Perkins institution has an assigned Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board staff member who can respond to specific questions and queries. The staff list and institution assignments can be found here: Perkins Staff Assignments
General Inquiries should be directed to Mindy.Nobles@thecb.state.tx.us.