Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
   Board Members  |  Commissioner   |  Agency Info   |  Staff Directory   |  Index A-Z   |  Search:
Subscribe to updates
TX Higher Education Data Center
College Compare
College For All Texans
Generation TX
Military and Their Families
Texas.gov Veterans Portal THECB HUB Link

Add Bookmark

Texas College and Career Readiness Standards – ELAM Review and Revision Project

Project Name
Texas College and Career Readiness Standards - English/Language Arts and Mathematics (CCRS - ELAM) Review and Revision Project

Section 28.008 of the Texas Education Code, entitled "Advancement of College Readiness in Curriculum," was created by the Third Special Called Session of the 79th Texas Legislature. This section requires that the Texas Education Agency (TEA) and Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) establish discipline-based vertical teams to develop College and Career Readiness Standards (CCRS) that address what students must know and be able to do to succeed in entry-level college courses offered at Texas public community/technical colleges and universities.

TEC section 28.008 was amended by the Regular Session of the 83rd Texas Legislature to require that vertical teams periodically review the college readiness standards and expectations, and recommend any revisions of the standards for approval. TEA is responsible for recruiting public educators that will make up 40 percent of the vertical teams, and THECB is responsible for recruiting the remaining 60 percent. Each vertical team will be representative of the state's geographic, institutional and population diversity.

Project Description
Phase I of the project will address the English/Language Arts and Mathematics disciplines. Phase II, set to begin in 2018, will address the Science, Social Studies, and, ultimately, Cross-Disciplinary standards. The Cross-Disciplinary standards will be reviewed by faculty draw from the subject-area teams, and thus must be the final set to be reviewed.

The grantee will facilitate the review of the English/Language Arts and Mathematics College and Career Readiness Standards using discipline-based vertical teams composed of postsecondary faculty and public school educators, as well as faculty members with career and technical education expertise in those disciplines. The grantee will conduct an online statewide field validation survey to determine the alignment of the CCRS with what is expected by faculty members at Texas public community/technical colleges and universities.

The vertical team members will convene for two, multiple-day workshops in Austin, Texas to discuss statewide field validation survey results, to review current CCRS, and to revise current CCRS, as needed. The proposed revisions will be posted to the Texas Register and the public will be invited to review and comment on the revisions later in the spring.

***RFA RFA Addendum No. 1*** (PDF)

Request For Applications (PDF)

Application Forms (MS Word)

Project Period
On or about August 1, 2017 to November 30, 2018. If funding permits, awarded applicant may receive continuation funding for Phase II.

Important Dates

  • Intent to Apply Deadline: June 21, 2017 at 5:00 PM C.S.T.
  • Inquiry Deadline: July 7, 2017 at 5:00 PM C.S.T. to CRI@thecb.state.tx.us
  • Application Deadline: July 12, 2017 at 5:00 PM C.S.T.
  • Award Deadline: On or around August 1, 2017

Frequently Asked Questions


College for all Texans

Site Map | Staff Directory | Employment | Site Policies | TRAIL | Texas.gov | Fraud Hotline | Public Information Requests | Student Complaints | Customer Satisfaction Survey | Notice of Non-Discrimination

1200 E. Anderson Lane, Austin, TX 78752 || P.O. Box 12788, Austin, TX 78711-2788
Main: (512) 427-6101 || Student Loans: (800)-242-3062 or (512)-427-6340
©2018 THECB