Core Curriculum Submission and Approval Process
Coordinating Board rule, Texas Administration Code 4.31 (2), allows each Texas public higher education institution one comprehensive request for change per year. The request should cover all proposed changes to the institution's list of core courses, including addition and deletion of courses, changes to course numbers, course titles, course Semester Credit Hours (SCH), re-assignment of a course from one Foundational Component Area (FCA) to another if appropriate, and other changes, such as placement of overflow hours from four Semester Credit Hour courses or changes to their core curriculum assessment plan.
Annual Change of Core Curriculum Course Listing
The following steps outline the submission and approval process for core curriculum changes:
- Each institution may submit one comprehensive request for change to its list of core curriculum courses per year. Points of Consideration For Course Submission and Review.
- All requests for change must be made through the online system available through the Core Curriculum Submission Portal.
- In order to support timely submission of such changes, the Coordinating Board will roll over the University Course Inventory to the next inventory year at an earlier date than in years prior to 2015, i.e., on or near February 1 of each year.
- Institutions should allow a review period for the approval process, in order to accommodate a timeline that allows for review and a reply by the institution:
- On a date of its choosing the institution submits its change request.
- Within one month the Coordinating Board staff will issue an information sheet listing approved and denied changes.
- Within one month the institution may respond to the decision. (Please contact Coordinating Board staff, so that the Core Curriculum Submission
Portal may be re-opened for the submission of additional documentation.)
- Within two weeks the Coordinating Board staff will reach closure.
- The change request for a given academic year must be concluded prior to the end of the academic year. The last day to submit a change request is June 30.
The Coordinating Board will make every effort to work with each institution to clarify core curriculum issues.
For further information, contact:
Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
Academic Quality and Workforce
P.O. Box 12788
Austin, TX 78711
Reinold R. Cornelius, PhD
Melinda Valdez, EdD