Note: Submission is a two-step process so that Coordinating Board staff can secure the appropriate number of reviewers in advance of the receipt of applications.
STEP 1: Submit the Nomination (Self-Nominations Welcome)
The completed Nomination Cover Sheet and Summary Description must be received at the Coordinating Board offices no later than 5:00 p.m. on June 3, 2013.
1. Complete the appropriate Nomination Cover Sheet for the category of Star Award (i.e., Programs, Projects, and Activities; Groups and Organizations; or Partnerships). This is a form completed by the nominator that includes the nominee’s contact information.
2. Complete the Nomination Summary Description. This is a summary that includes a brief overview of the nominated program, group, or partnership and explains how the nominee is making an outstanding contribution to Closing the Gaps in student participation, student success, academic excellence, and/or research.
3. Save your Nomination Cover Sheet and accompanying summary description as a PDF file on your computer or flash drive.
4. Email the PDF file to StarAwards@thecb.state.tx.us. The receipt of each nomination will be confirmed via email. (Please note that nominations will no longer be accepted by regular mail.)
STEP 2: Nominee Submits Application
The completed Application Form and Description must be received at the Coordinating Board offices no later than 5:00 p.m. on July 8, 2013.
1. Star Award Nominees for 2013 will be notified via email that they have been nominated for a Star Award. Included in this email will be application instructions and a Formal Star Award 2013 Application Form.
2. Nominee Completes the Application Cover Sheet. This is a form completed by the nominated applicant that includes the applicant’s contact information. The appropriate President/Chancellor for higher education institutions, or the CEO of other entities, must sign the Application Cover Sheet giving authorization for the application to be considered.
3. Nominee Completes the Applicant’s Full Description. This is detailed information about the program, group, or partnership that includes the following information (Limit 10 pages).
a. Summary of what the program, group, or partnership is intended to accomplish.
b. The date the program, group, or partnership began operations.
c. The goal(s) of Closing the Gaps to which the program, group, or partnership is contributing (i.e., student participation, student success, academic excellence, and/or research).
d. Sufficient data to ensure that progress is clearly demonstrated and is attributable to the program, project, or activity.
e. Demonstration of an efficient cost/benefit ratio per student.
4. New Requirement: At least one letter of recommendation for the nominated program. Generally, the letters of recommendation that have been included with Star Award applications in the past are from business leaders; community leaders; institutional presidents; provosts; chief instructional officers; individuals who have benefited from the program, parents whose children have benefited from the program, etc.
5. Save your Application Cover Sheet and accompanying full description as a PDF file on your computer or flash drive.
6. Email the PDF file to StarAwards@thecb.state.tx.us. The receipt of each nominee’s application will be confirmed via email. (Please note that nominee applications will no longer be accepted by regular mail.)
The Star Award Application forms will be posted after the Nomination period ends on June 3, 2013.
For additional information, please contact:
Mary E. Smith, Ph.D.
Assistant Deputy Commissioner for Academic Planning and Policy, THECB
Administrative Assistant for Academic Planning and Policy, THECB