How to Pay

Paying for college may seem to be the hardest part of going back to school, but it doesn’t have to be. Scholarships, grants, exemptions, and loans may all be options available to you. If you have any questions or need additional information about any of these resources, advisers and counselors at each of the Grad TX schools can answer your specific financial aid questions and help you find the money to pay for your education.

No matter what type of financial aid you are interested in, your first step is to fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at This application will determine your eligibility for a variety of financial aid programs are available to both full-time and part-time students.

Federal Grants

Grants are free money that do not need to be repaid. Some federal grant programs you might be eligible for include:

  • Pell Grants
  • A Pell grant may be available if you meet the financial need and eligibility requirements of the program. This grant money is available for full and part-time students.
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG). The FSEOG program is designed for students showing exceptional need and Pell grant eligibility.
  • Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership (LEAP) and Special Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership (SLEAP). The LEAP Program assists in providing student aid programs for eligible students who have substantial financial aid. The SLEAP Program is an additional component of the LEAP Program. To be eligible for LEAP or SLEAP programs, students must be Pell eligible.


Exemptions are type of financial assistance allowing some Texas residents to attend a public university in Texas without paying tuition. The Texas Higher Education Coordination Board website provides full details. The following are some of the exemption programs that are currently available to Texas residents:

  • Educational Aide Exemption
  • Exemption for Peace Officers Disabled in the Line of Duty
  • Exemption for Peace Officers Enrolled in Law Enforcement or Criminal Justice Courses
  • Exemption for the Surviving Spouse of Certain Deceased Public Servants
  • Exemption from Irrelevant Fees
  • Exemptions for Texas Veterans (Hazlewood Exemption)
  • Exemptions for Children of US Military who are Missing in Action or Prisoners of War


  • Federal Stafford Loans
    Direct Stafford loans , from the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program, are low-interest loans for eligible students to help cover the cost of higher education.
  • Direct subsidized loans are for students that demonstrate financial need. The amount of the loan is determined by your school and you are not charged interest while you’re in school at least part-time and during grace periods and deferment periods.
  • Direct unsubsidized loans do not require students to demonstrate financial need. Your school will determine the amount you can borrow and interest accumulates on an unsubsidized loan from the time it’s first paid out. You can pay the interest while you are in school or after you have left school.
  • Perkins Loans
    The Perkins loan provides low-interest educational loans to students with exceptional financial need. You must be enrolled at least part-time and make satisfactory academic progress to receive a Perkins loan. The maximum annual amount awarded to an undergraduate student is $4,000. Your institution will let you know if you are eligible for a Perkins loan.
  • College Access Loan Program
    The College Access Loan Program provides an alternative type of educational loan to Texas students that attend colleges and universities in Texas. Students do not have to demonstrate financial need to receive these loans. Students eligible for these loans must be Texas residents, enrolled at least part-time, meet satisfactory academic progress, and receive a favorable credit evaluation. You can get more information about a College Access Loan from a financial aid adviser at a Grad TX university or at the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board at.


There are a number of scholarships that you might be eligible for. Some Grad TX universities even offer scholarships specifically for returning adult students. To find out more information about scholarship opportunities, talk to a financial aid adviser at a Grad TX university.