Position: Accountant II
Job Number: 14-006
Number of Vacancies: 1
Division: Business and Support Services
Open Date: 01/17/2014
Closing Date: 02/18/2014 at 5:00 p.m.
Hiring Salary Range: $2,964 - $3,758/ Monthly
Application Process: Complete a State of Texas Job application and document how you meet the minimum required education and experience; be detailed in explaining your experience that relates to the duties and responsibilities listed. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of a completed application. A copy of your official college transcripts is required if the position requires education beyond high school. Incomplete applications will not be accepted for consideration.
Submit Applications and Transcripts to: Human Resources, 1200 E. Anderson Lane, Austin, TX 78752 or fax to (512) 427-6510 or email to email@example.com.
General Description Performs routine accounting work. Work involves preparing, recording, classifying and analyzing financial records and documents; serves as the primary resource for all expenditure processing, including travel. Works under moderate supervision with limited latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. This position reports to the Accounts Payable Supervisor and Director of Business Operations.
Performs routine accounting work. Work involves preparing, recording, classifying and analyzing financial records and documents; serves as the primary resource for all expenditure processing, including travel. Works under moderate supervision with limited latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. This position reports to the Accounts Payable Supervisor and Director of Business Operations.
General Duties and Responsibilities
· Prepares and processes general journal, payment, cash, purchase, travel and related vouchers.
· Processes and enters large volumes of purchase vouchers and data into automated systems and USAS (Uniform Statewide Accounting System).
· Performs work on expenditures, encumbrances, contracts and purchase orders using the automated system.
· Audits accounting and financial documents for accuracy and compliance with policies, procedures, and state and federal statutes.
· Classifies, codes, and balances financial accounting documents and records.
· Maintains and monitors unpaid voucher files.
· Monitors transaction batches and balances in USAS.
· Researches, reconciles, and assist vendors and other divisions regarding expenditure payment information.
· Processes and maintains records in the Texas Identification Numbering System (TINS) and Treasury Operations' System Services (TOSS).
· Administers payment card programs.
· Collects and distributes reports.
· Performs miscellaneous reconciliations.
· Assists in the maintenance and development of automated systems.
· Assists in processing cash receipts.
· Assists with month end, quarter end and year end closes and reports.
· Assists and trains agency personnel in using automated programs.
· Provides backup and assistance to other parts of the work-unit as necessary.
· Performs related work as assigned.
Minimum Required Qualifications
Education and Experience
· Graduation from a senior high school or equivalent.
· Two years’ experience performing bookkeeping and/or accounting functions.
· 15 hours of business related college coursework may substitute for six months of work experience, with a maximum substitution of one year.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Knowledge of bookkeeping and general accounting principles, procedures and practices.
· Knowledge of financial reporting and general business practices.
· Skill in using calculators, personal computers, and general office software.
· Skill in using automated accounting systems.
· Skill in analyzing, preparing, checking, and balance routine fiscal transactions and accounts.
· Ability to perform accurate arithmetical calculations with or without mechanical assistance.
· Ability to prepare and maintain accurate accounting records.
· Ability to work accurately with numerical detail.
· Ability to analyze and interpret accounting data.
· Ability to plan procedures and prioritize work.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships both internally and externally.
· Ability to respond to customer service requests in a timely and professional manner.
· Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing.
· Major college-level coursework in accounting.
· Accounting experience in a governmental setting, preferably a Texas state agency.
· Experience working with USAS, TINS, Excel, Micro Information Products, Inc. (MIP) and/or automated accounting systems.
· Experience with Accounts Payable, including coding of invoices.
· State of Texas Travel Experience.
· Experience in Customer Service.
Job offer and continuation of employment with THECB may be contingent upon
If applicable, compliance with the Selective Service Law for males ages 18-25. Please be advised that under Texas law, names and other information concerning applicants or nominees may be subject to disclosure upon request.
Physical Requirements and/or Working Conditions
Work is performed in a standard office environment and requires
Regular and punctual attendance;
The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board is a Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, age or disability in employment or the provision of services. An individual with a disability that requires a reasonable accommodation shall not be denied the opportunity due to the disability. The applicant should contact Human Resources if reasonable accommodation is required during the application process at (512) 427-6190. For vocal and/or hearing assistance call 7-1-1, (512) 427-6190.