Position: Software Quality Assurance Specialist
Job Number: 14-004
Number of Vacancies: 1
Division: Deputy Commissioner's Office - Finance and Administration
Open Date: 12/04/2013
Closing Date: 01/15/2014 at 5:00 p.m.
Hiring Salary Range: $4,248 - $4,648 / Monthly
Application Process: Complete a State of Texas Job application and document how you meet the minimum required education and experience; be detailed in explaining your experience that relates to the duties and responsibilities listed. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of a completed application. A copy of your official college transcripts is required if the position requires education beyond high school. Incomplete applications will not be accepted for consideration.
Submit Applications and Transcripts to: Human Resources, 1200 E. Anderson Lane, Austin, TX 78752 or fax to (512) 427-6510 or email to email@example.com.
Performs complex software quality assurance work. Work involves planning, developing, and administering internal quality assurance work to ensure that software products meet standards and end-user requirements. Works under general supervision with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. This position reports to the Director, Client Relations & Delivery Excellence.
General Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the development and implementation of software test plans, scenarios, scripts, and quality assurance programs.
- Analyze test cases and functional specifications to determine best approach for automating scripts.
- Create automated tests to augment manual testing.
- Promote and adopt consistent testing standards, tools, and processes.
- Perform analysis on complex business requirements and software problems.
- Perform verification and validation of software products, develops test protocols, and is responsible for drafting and updating documentation of results.
- Provide effort estimates based on high-level assumptions.
- Identify data for testing, and creates test design including test cases and conditions.
- Run tests and diagnose problems to ensure user requirements are met.
- Review software documentation to ensure technical accuracy, compliance, or completeness.
- Provide input on the development of quality control policies, procedures, and standards.
- Act as QA Lead on small initiatives. Monitor progress against schedule. Assist fellow team members and customers with problem reporting and resolution and maintaining appropriate follow-up communications throughout the resolution process.
- Performs related work as assigned.
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science from a regionally accredited four-year college or university.
- Three years of experience as a Software Testing Engineer.
- One year of additional work experience may be substituted for each year (30 semester hours) of college with a maximum substitution of two years.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the software development lifecycle.
- Knowledge of network operating systems, software, and client server hardware systems, and the ability to maintain them in a production environment.
- Knowledge of requirements capture, configuration management, version control, and testing management.
- Knowledge of software quality assurance processes and methodologies.
- Knowledge and demonstrated practice of software construction, computer science, and software industry best practices related to test automation.
- Knowledge of Risk Assessment.
- Skill in using personal computers, general office software, databases, and computer programs.
- Skill in conducting tests, inspections and quality assurance reviews on various software programs.
- Skill in using test automation tools.
- Skills in communicating both in writing and verbally.
- Ability to effectively and diplomatically handle multiple responsibilities and priorities and manage time in a fast-paced and sometimes pressured environment.
- Ability to work on detailed information and provide accurate, organized results.
- Ability to work well in groups, and to establish and maintain effective working relationships both internally and externally.
- Ability to interact professionally with customers, users, and other participants in the systems development process.
- Ability to think critically, use logic and reasoning, and identify alternative solutions to problems.
- Experience with software testing and system administration tasks in a Windows and/or Unix environment.
- Able to write manual & automated test cases using open source tools such as Selenium or similar.
- Experience with issue reporting & tracking tools such as Bugzilla/JIRA.
- Experience working on agile team (scum team preferred).
- Experience with development of automated tests on Linux (for example, Selenium WebDriver).
- Experience with Lean Six Sigma methodologies.
Job offer and continuation of employment with THECB may be contingent upon
- Proof of educational credentials that satisfies the minimum requirements of the position.
- Eligibility/authorization to work in the U.S.
- Satisfactory results from Criminal History Background Check.
If applicable, compliance with the Selective Service Law for males ages 18-25. Please be advised that under Texas law, names and other information concerning applicants or nominees may be subject to disclosure upon request.
Physical Requirements and/or Working Conditions
Work is performed in a standard office environment and requires
Regular and punctual attendance;
- Frequent use of personal computer, copiers, printers and telephones;
- Frequent sitting;
- Frequently works under deadlines, as a team member, and in direct contact with others.
The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board is a Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, age or disability in employment or the provision of services. An individual with a disability that requires a reasonable accommodation shall not be denied the opportunity due to the disability. The applicant should contact Human Resources if reasonable accommodation is required during the application process at (512) 427-6190. For vocal and/or hearing assistance call 7-1-1, (512) 427-6190.