Position: Assistant Director (Educational Data Center)
Job Number: 14-020
Number of Vacancies: 1
Division: Planning and Accountability
Open Date: 08/06/2014
Closing Date: 08/29/2014 at 5:00 p.m.
Hiring Salary Range: $5166 - $5666
Application Process: Complete a State of Texas Job application and document how you meet the minimum required education and experience; be detailed in explaining your experience that relates to the duties and responsibilities listed. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of a completed application. A copy of your official college transcripts is required if the position requires education beyond high school. Incomplete applications will not be accepted for consideration.
Submit Applications and Transcripts to: Human Resources, 1200 E. Anderson Lane, Austin, TX 78752 or fax to (512) 427-6510 or email to email@example.com.
Performs supervisory and advanced support work for data analysis activities. Work involves managing the Educational Data Analysis Support Center and agency data warehouse initiatives. Works under general supervision with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. This position reports to the Director, Educational Data Center.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
· Provides system analysis in an applications development and/or database environment.
· Supervises application and interface development and data analyst/data specialist personnel.
· Consults with Information Technology Services regarding database/data warehouse/business intelligence administration.
· Plans, schedules and assigns data analysis and reporting projects.
· Coordinates data analysis and reporting projects within the division.
· Analyzes proposed data analysis and reporting applications, interfaces and tools.
· Ensures the preparation of feasibility studies for new data analysis and reporting applications.
· Ensures adequate documentation for all new applications and interfaces.
· Provides technical assistance to other agency personnel.
· Ensures application and data security procedures are written and enforced.
· Directs data base administration, programming and data analysis activities.
· Ensures the capability exists of readily responding to a variety of integrated information needs and those users and analysts have the capacity to retrieve, arrange and analyze data in meaningful ways for their purposes within a reasonable time.
· Ensures there are clearly defined priorities established by working with users, and that assignment and deadlines reflect those priorities.
· Ensures adequate documentation exists for all new systems and applications to reduce dependence on individuals and provide the necessary information to operational processing.
· Ensures a change control procedure exists to prevent unauthorized changes to data and production applications, and to provide an audit trail of changes.
· Provides leadership, exhibits a professional manner and performs personnel management activities for the Educational Data Center staff.
· Performs related duties as assigned.
Required Minimum Education and experience:
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in management information systems development, statistical analysis, or computer systems analysis and programming.
· Six years of progressively responsible full-time work experience which provided for thorough knowledge of data analysis and reporting techniques, management information systems development, computer systems analysis and programming, and systems and application documentation is required.
· Two years of the required experience must have been at a supervisory level.
· A master’s degree in a closely related field may be substituted for two years of the non-supervisory experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Knowledge and understanding of data analysis methods, tools and systems development and implementation.
· Knowledge of project management principles.
· Skills using data analysis tools such as SAS, SPSS, Business Intelligence interfaces, etc.
· Skills designing and implementing data analysis and reporting systems, applications, and interfaces.
· Skills successfully managing and implementing systems development projects.
· Skills in developing complex programs for data analysis and reporting applications.
· Ability to analyze complex data analysis problems and develop appropriate solutions.
· Ability to plan, organize, direct, schedule and coordinate work assignments.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships.
· Ability to accept and follow instructions given in a variety of forms.
· Ability to communicate effectively in a variety of forms.
· Previous experience with higher education data.
· Experience with statistical analysis software.
Job offer and continuation of employment with THECB may be contingent upon
If applicable, compliance with the Selective Service Law for males ages 18-25. Please be advised that under Texas law, names and other information concerning applicants or nominees may be subject to disclosure upon request.
Physical Requirements and/or Working Conditions
Work is performed in a standard office environment and requires
The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board is a Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, age or disability in employment or the provision of services. An individual with a disability that requires a reasonable accommodation shall not be denied the opportunity due to the disability. The applicant should contact Human Resources if reasonable accommodation is required during the application process at (512) 427-6190. For vocal and/or hearing assistance call 7-1-1, (512) 427-6190.